Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Routh Bolomet

Routh Bolomet was an... interesting speaker.  She gave an anecdote of how she came to Hawaii from California, where she did enough drugs to turn her brain into mush (as she explained a CAT scan showed).  She told a story of the organic farm she lived near on the north shore, and how that farm was actually spraying pesticides which was having an adverse affect on her health through its seeping into the water supply.

The rest of her presentation was a bit of a blur to me, as it involved a lot of philosophy I didn't really agree with.  For example, one of her quotes was that "you don't grow plants, you're growing the soil".  She made multiple mentions of how current science is essentially wrong in a lot of regards, and to this I had to tune my mind away from the presentation.  It's one thing for me to be open-minded, which I usually am, but in this case the argumentation had such a small base, I felt that she wasn't arguing for a side which I don't agree with, but rather something completely different (in some cases from common sense).  The presentation began to ramble on different philosophies and alternate religions (which included an alternative sect of Hinduism), to which I couldn't really follow.

Another concept she spoke of, which I can't remember the technical name, had to do with mass consensus.  She explained that if just 10,000 people learned how to do something, the entire human race would automatically know how to do it too, regardless of contact with any of those people.  She used the example of a case where she says a population of monkeys were taught how to peel bananas before eating them, and suddenly monkeys all over the world began to do that too.  This is a concept I don't agree with at all as I think there are many contradictory examples.  For one, it is a fact that more than 10,000 people currently know how to swim, but there are still many people who do not possess that ability.

4 comments:

  1. Aloha Paul,

    Your blog was recently brought to my attention, I am Routh Bolomet, and I think if you'd like to write about me, you should at least get the story straight, I mean your misinformation teeters on the side of defamation of character.

    So please pay attention this time, or perhaps just remove me from your blog.

    To start with, my brain injury was a result of chemical trespass from a neighbor who sprayed a popular herbicide that drifted into my home, getting myself and my family sick, not polluting the water supply as you stated in your post.

    Besides the brain injury, from this chemical exposure, I suffered multiple organ and systems damage as well. My family also suffered from this exposure that you said was caused from me "doing enough drugs to turn her brain into mush". Wow dude the only drugs that I had done in 20 years was pharmaceuticals prescribed by my doctor until they figured out I was allergic to allopathic medicine; this was limited to maybe 5 different medicines in the 20 years I lived in California. Interesting how you'd arrive at that from my story! Perhaps it should be asked what you were on when you were listening to my presentation?

    See Part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. con't. from Part 1

    As for our farming methods and growing soil, Dr. Paul Hepperly, the former Research Director of the Rodale Institute Research Department, winner of the Rachel Carson Award, the Humanitarian Award and many other noteworthy awards, taught me as he teaches farmers all around the world in 2nd and 3rd world countries, how to grow soil. He taught my husband and I that a true organic farmer doesn't grow food, they grow soil. When your soil is well balanced and full of nutrients, your plants/ food production will reflect that in the health of the plant and taste of the produce. This philosophy has also been taught by master farmers, Jon Biloon, Kimberly Clark, Master Cho from Korea, only to name a few.

    If a farmer doesn't focus on their soil, they merely are growing food hoping that everything turns out okay and are usually the farm produce that looks all beaten up and bug ravaged; in my book these people are not organic farmers, and have the audacity to even call what they grow organic. This is not organic farming, this is growing without chemicals and any regard to nurturing and harmonizing with nature!

    I learned a long time ago that there are farmers who grow food for a profit like the big corporate farms and then there are the farmers who are artisans and grow to feed and heal humanity. When I decided to accept this mission to farm I did it to heal humanity on a body and soul level.

    Unfortunately I cannot go into the philosophical aspects of healing and nurturing the human spirit while regenerating the aina, because by your own admission, you are not elevated enough to understand what millions on the planet are grasping and shifting to.

    Oh by the way, the spiritual practice I follow has nothing to do with Hinduism, although I find that all true religions and spiritual movements have similarities when you are living in the realm of truth.

    Lastly, the concept you refer to is called "the 100th Monkey Theory", there's experiments with monkey's peeling banana's and others washing potatoes, here is a link that you can wrap your head around. http://www.wowzone.com/monkey.htm there are many more if you will just take the time to do your homework!

    My oh my Paul, perhaps you should spend time doing more research, before doing your postings. My family and I would appreciate you either correcting your posting or completely taking it down. It's shameful that you use this media in such an irresponsible way to defame a person if that was your purpose. Since I don't know you and you don't know me and my family's story, what other purpose could you have to tell such a false story. As my grandma used to tell me, if you can't say something nice, perhaps you shouldn't say anything at all.

    I hope those who write about you are much kinder then how you shamefully portrayed me; by the way what did I or my family ever do to you? Well, we'll pray for you to have a paradigm shift so that you can see how your lack of kindness and untruths do not make for a better world, but just simply continues to contribute to the unraveling and demise of the human spirit and the human race!

    We'll be watching to see your response.

    Malama Pono!

    Routh Bolomet

    ReplyDelete
  3. "you are not elevated enough to understand what millions on the planet are grasping and shifting to...

    As my grandma used to tell me, if you can't say something nice, perhaps you shouldn't say anything at all"
    -- Routh Bolomet

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundredth_monkey_effect

    ReplyDelete